Tuesday, December 29, 2009

That Seems Unlikely

One of the movies that I got for Christmas was the second Transformers movie: Revenge of the Fallen. I have to say, it was a lot better than expected. I would even go so far as to say I liked it better than the first one. I'll admit I was not anticipating Shawshank Redemption-level of acting or writing and that probably helped the movie exceed my expectations. I think it also helped that they seemed to dial back the CGI and focus on the humans a little more. Thus, the Transformers were not nearly as complicated and it was easier to tell just what the hell I was looking at when they started fighting one another. Or, maybe I was just used to it after being a little overwhelmed the first time around. Also, kudos to Michael Bay for trying to organize an actual plot, when in reality he probably could have just gotten away with tons of action, large explosions and no plot whatsoever.

There was one thing that bothered me, though. Megan Fox (good God, is that girl hot) and Shia LaBeouf characters have been dating for two years and we're supposed to believe they just started having sex? Please, they're allegedly two high school teenagers in America. I've seen the news, high schools are more like the Playboy mansion these days [sidebar: good luck with all that, parents]. I'm willing to grant you complicated alien robots that can transform into anything they see and governments being able to keep their existence a secret even in this world of YouTube and camera phones, but 18 year-olds being virgins? Nope, not giving you that one, Hollywood.

-Why is it that Jason Bay signing with the Mets suddenly makes me feel supremely confident that the Red Sox are doing the right thing by letting him leave? If it was the Yankees or even the Angels I feel like I would be sitting here saying to myself, "This is a mistake, they should have offered him that 5th year." Instead, as soon as I saw that Bay was signing with the Mets a wave of calm came over me, as if to say, "Yep, there is something really wrong with that shoulder."

No comments: