Saturday, December 5, 2009

A Rapid Momentum Shift

Apparently, we're getting snow tonight. It was almost 70 on Thursday and in the 50s on Friday, so, of course, we could be looking at three inches of snow by tomorrow morning. Welcome to New England. The point is that I couldn't delay any longer; I had to do another raking of the back yard to clear the rest of the leaves and stick that had fallen after the other night's wind storm (more on that tomorrow), or else they would be buried under snow until February and officially kill the lawn. After a couple hours of yard work, I was pretty tired by the late afternoon. Now, I rallied for my sister's birthday party that evening, but once I got home I started to fade once again. By 11:30, I was almost out. However I'm waiting to see if I get what could very well be the most important email of my life, only I have no idea when it could be arriving, so I decided to check my emails one last time before bed. I turned my iPod on because I like ambient noise when I read emails and was greeted by "Dream On" by Aerosmith.

Now, for all the shit I gave Steven Tyler a couple weeks ago, I love this song. So, I threw on my headphones and cranked it up. "Dream On" was followed by "For Whom The Bell Tolls" by Metallica, which was followed by "Name of the Game" by The Crystal Method. Apparently my iPod has been talking to every mix tape I ever made in high school. When the next song was "Shipping Up to Boston" by Dropkick Murphys, I was officially fired up. I had gone from half-asleep to beyond awake in 4 songs. There was only one thing left to do - midnight dance party. Now, for all my reluctance to dance in public settings, I am just the opposite in the comfort of my own home. What followed was an hour-long shuffle of epic proportions. Everyone from Sinatra to U2 and Jay-Z made an appearance. I was grooving.

...and then it came to a crashing end. Just as quickly as my iPod was moving to the category of "greatest invention ever" the party came crashing down. Let me explain: despite my best efforts to push on, I'm still going through some stuff right now. When I'm going through this kind of stuff the worst thing for me are mindless activities (such as yard work), because my body goes on auto-pilot and my mind is left to wander as I begin to re-think and re-live events, spending a lot of time in the anger/denial/bargaining phases, but not moving passed them. This was what I did yesterday the entire time I was raking. So, while the dance party was a nice adrenaline-fuel distraction, when my iPod suddenly hit me back-to-back with Rascal Flatt's "Here Comes Goodbye" and "Winner At A Losing Game", that killed my momentum. An hours worth of build-up knocked down in about 4 minutes. I went from rocking dance party to sitting in a dark room, listening to songs that remind me of my ex. Not cool, iPod, not cool at all.

The moral of the story is this: technology will turn on us all eventually... and you should make playlists.

No comments: