Saturday, December 12, 2009

An Unsung Hero

This morning my house was in full search mode as we attempted to find a tool specifically designed to score wallpaper (Amy and Matt want to strip away pretty much all the wallpaper on the first floor of their new home). Now, the workshop is a mess, so we were lucky when we found the wallpapering supplies at all, but also not shocked when the scoring tool wasn't among those supplies. I know we had one of these things, because I remember using it, I just don't know when that was. It could have been two years ago or it could just as easily have been six. The theory was then that since we hadn't had to remove any wallpaper around here in a while, we must have lent it out to someone else. So, we started calling around, which is when I realised there is a piece of technology that doesn't get nearly enough credit: the phonebook feature of most phones.

Do you remember back when you had to remember every phone number on your own, or at least write them all down in a little book that was near the phone? Me neither, but that just proves how long this valuable little tweak to phones has gone unrecognized. I have people that I call every week, but if you put a gun to my head and demanded their number, I couldn't help you. I can currently only recite about four phone numbers from memory - one of them is my home phone number, two of the others are numbers for people I don't even talk to anymore and the third is for Giant Glass (it's a very catchy slogan they have). So, thank you phonebook feature of my phone - you have saved my brain the energy of learning phone numbers and instead freed it to learn important facts like the names of the six NBA players who have scored their 20,000th point while playing for the Boston Celtics.

-The editor in me really likes it when I hit the spell-check feature of most document software and am greeted with "No Misspellings Found." However, the juvenile side of me likes it even more when I so poorly spell a word that the spell-check has no idea what I was even going for. There is a weird sense of satisfaction to know that I have stumped a computer program with practically every word entered into it.

No comments: