Friday, December 18, 2009

Sock It To Me

Whenever you buy anything in a group, you run the risk that they will all start to fail at the same time down the line. This could be the rule for anything from apples to underwear. Now, in my case, the issue I'm having is with socks. In the past couple of weeks I have had to throw out 4 pairs of socks as they have all developed thin spots and ultimately holes in the bottom within a couple days of each other (mostly the heel as apparently I walk heavily heel-to-toe). At first I thought it was rather annoying, but as I was putting new socks into my drawer I realised that I'm adding a bundle as I lose a bundle, so it works out just the like the sock industry wants it to. Now, when we were younger we were told that if we weren't good around Christmas instead of presents all we would get was socks and a pen. Turns out that even though I have been pretty good this year and I've got plenty of good pens, I could use the socks.

-Apparently there are several faculty members at the University of Texas who are unhappy that Mack Brown, the head football coach, was given a substantial raise a week ago as his base salary jumped from $2 million annually to $5 million a year. Now, they do have a point as UT is a state school, the state still has not fully recovered from a down economy and a guy making $2 million a year is not exactly starving. However last year the football team, through marketing deals, merchandise sales, tickets, TV contracts and bowl bonuses made $87 million dollars. This year they should do even better as they are in the National Championship game. Should they win that they could be looking more in the neighborhood of $100 million dollars, which is a nice neighborhood to be in. Basically, until the science department can boast 9-figure profits to add to the school's budget the faculty needs to shut the hell up.

-I get that the Colts are 14-0 and that is very impressive. However, they have 7 comeback wins this year and are skating on one hell of a razor's edge. For some reason I just get a vibe from this team like they are destined go 16-0 and then lose in the first round of the playoffs. Given the way they are teetering I would feel much more confident if I were a Chargers fan. You can only toe that line so many times before stepping over.

No comments: