Thursday, July 30, 2009

Get on this, Inventors

I'm a simple man when it comes to my hair. I don't use gel, mousse or any other products. Frankly, if I can get away with not combing it, it's been a good day. The only reason that I do not shave my head is that while certain people can pull that look off, I just don't feel I am one of them. Also, my mom and sisters would not be happy with me.

By yesterday I had gotten past the point of no return with my hair and I needed to go and get it cut. The side result of waiting so long in between haircuts is that you have a lot of hair that is coming off your head (really, it's the equivalent of taking off a rugby helmet) and that hair goes everywhere. Yesterday, perhaps due to the humidity in the air, I had trimmings all over the place. They were all over my forehead, down my back and sticking to the side of my face. It all made for one itchy mess that almost immediately required a shower and a change of shirts.

There has to be a better system that can collect all the trimming that come off your head during a haircut. Something that not only stops them from going down the person's shirt, but also saves the barber time with not having to sweep up later. We were almost there with the Flowbee. I mean, the idea is right in front of us in principle. All that needs to happen is someone needs to make it look a little more stylist and not like you are cutting your hair with a vacuum cleaner.

-Something else interesting happened as I got my haircut yesterday. Normally I have the same guy who's been cutting my hair for over ten years. I think one time his sister had to step in, but other than that it's been the same guy. Yesterday, he was on vacation, so one of the other girls cut my hair instead. My hair still came out fine (it's pretty hard to screw up a fade, I would imagine), but I did notice one stark difference. When my guy cuts my hair we stick to standard guy topics: Sox, Patriots, Celtics, work, music and bragging about our nieces. At no point does the conversation ever turn to the point that he's asking me, "Well, don't you want to have kids?" Yet, somehow that's where we ended up yesterday. I still don't know how we got there.

-As I've said in this space before, the only time I listen to the radio anymore is when I'm in the shower, and when I do it's set on the country station. Well, thanks to my haircut, yesterday was a two-shower day. What I noticed from two showers and again this morning is that it seems every time I turn on the radio, a Taylor Swift song comes on. Now, I like Taylor Swift (well... I don't mind her would probably be a more accurate description), but they clearly need to open up the catalog a little more. If I'm only listening 20 minutes a day and hearing her every time, I can only imagine people who listen all day must be sick of her.

No comments: