Thursday, July 2, 2009

I Don't Need the Recipe Book for This One

My preferences when it comes to alcohol are pretty standard. I stick with beer most of the time (although which kind can vary depending on my mood and the weather). Occasionally I will venture to the hard liquor, though it never gets too exotic (Jack or Johnny on the rocks, rum and coke - that's about it) and then I always end the night with Bailey's on the rocks. But, despite my standard tastes, I'm interested in those exotic drinks with names that offer no clues about what alcohol could be included. The bartenders that seem to have this vast catalog in their heads impress me. Even though I wouldn't like to drink them myself, I think it's always a good idea to know how to make a variety of drinks, should you find yourself behind the bar at a party or something. You never know when someone could want a tequila sunrise or another equally off-the-wall choice.

This could be why these new Disaronno ads bother me so much. They act like they're giving you these grand drink mixtures for Disaronno drinks, when all they're telling you how to make is Disaronno and ginger ale (hint: Ice, Ginger ale, Disaronno - mix to your own liking). If you're going to go through the effort to make a nationwide ad campaign based around this premise, why not make an interesting drink? Don't tell me that all that goes into a Disaronna and Coke is Coke and Disaronno; I know that already. Tell me what the hell goes into a Big Mac Daddy (I did the research for you: it's a shot of Disaronno, shot of bourbon, 2 of cranberry juice, 8 ounces raspberry juice and topped off with ginger ale). That sounds like it's a good drink to know how to make.

-Yesterday was July first. Typically a hot day, you would think. Then why the hell was a digging out a sweatshirt in the afternoon? You know, I saw the glorified power-point presentation that was An Inconvenient Truth and it made me a believer in global warming. But when it's 63 degrees and we're into July, that doesn't help your cause all that much.

-Not that I want the Pistons to be good or anything, because I hate them more than I hate the Lakers, but someone should pull their management aside and remind them that just because Connecticut has a great basketball program it doesn't mean you have to try and get them all on one team in the pros. You are allowed to sign guys from other programs.

No comments: