Sunday, July 26, 2009

Good Thing We Kept Those

My family likes to plan for the unforeseeable future. As a result, we never seem to throw anything out. You never know: someone else could use that item, that clothing could come back in style or we could pick that hobby back up. We have 3 little girls running around - who knows what they could get into. So our shed, attic and basement are chock full of goodies. This has come in handy before. My brother's golf clubs sat unused in the basement for almost 10 years before I picked them up last summer and now they get a lot of use. This plan of attack has worked on more than one occasion. That is the key thing to remember here.

It just doesn't always work. Certain items we've found should just be tossed after a while. I bring this up because this weekend my family was going down to the beach house and I dug out these four beach chairs that have been in buried in our shed for the better part of a decade. And they're older than that. I remember taking these chairs on trips in the camper that we haven't owned since I was 15. But, they're perfect for the beach: short legs so you can sit low but not in the sand and they recline all the way so you get the benefits of laying out to tan without having to get your bathing suit full of sand. It's a good idea in principle. But, when my two year-old niece went to sit in one of them, she ripped the fabric right down the middle (Addison, by the way, is not a big girl. I shudder to think what I could have done to this thing). Another chair was being used and when they went to recline, the metal bent and snapped. So if you're keeping score at home you can toss out beach chairs that haven't seen a beach since the mid-90's.

-I've said for years that it's too easy for a player to get their number retired by the Celtics, and it's too hard for a player to get their number retired by the Red Sox. The fact that Jim Rice's number 14 wasn't already on the right field facade was so stupid to me and I don't even care all that much (I imagine it drove die-hards crazy). Now Wade Boggs has said he wants his number to be retired by the Red Sox. Sorry, chief, shouldn't have signed with the Yankees then (really, Red Sox fans can forgive any other team). Also, your number is retired by the Devil Rays, isn't that enough?

No comments: