Thursday, September 17, 2009

An Apology

This morning I was down at my aunt's, putting in baseboards and finishing up her flooring in time for the family gathering on Saturday (I'll be down at the beach, but I still like to know the work will be done). Anyway, as I was on the ground playing with baseboards, quarter-round and a chop saw, trying to get around pieces of moulding, it occurred to me that I need to issue an apology:

Dear Mr. Sanford (my 10th grade geometry teacher),
You were right. Eventually, having a better understanding of angles does come in handy. Today as I sat there fighting with the quarter-round to make it meet at just the angle that I needed to get around the step I realised I should have paid more attention in class, instead of thinking about the best way to ask out Beth St. Martin. You called that one. However, I do still think your constant hammering home of the Pythagorean theorem was crap. In all the years that I have been out of high school not once has the knowledge that A2 + B2 = C2 ever come in handy. But that's another topic for another day. In the mean time - my bad.

-You know it's not really football season until someone goes onto their fantasy football league's message board to leave a condescending note about the wide receiver who their opponent took in the 4th round and who now is going to be out for 4-6 weeks. Honestly, nothing brings a group together quite like the ability to make someone mad from across the country.

No comments: