Saturday, September 19, 2009

I Wish I Had Written This

The other day Yankee captain Derek Jeter broke the team record for most hits in a career. Now, I'm not going to rain on Mr. Jeter's parade, it was a very nice moment. Setting a team record is always a nice achievement and when that team has been around for over 100 years it's even better. However, around the sports media, people are taking that achievement to extremes. Some are calling it one of the greatest moment in baseball history. This is what drives me crazy about baseball. It's such a numbers-driven sport that people go nuts when records are broken. Also, because he did it for the Yankees it's being treated as if it was the all-time hits record, which it is not. Now, sure it's more impressive than setting the all-time hits record for a team like the Marlins that has been around for 20 years, but it's not that much more impressive than if a guy broke a record on the Cubs, who have also been around that long. It's not like the Yankees are the only team to have had great players. Anyway, I was all set to write a long post about how stupid comments like "Jeter's hit was an all-time top-10 baseball moment" are, when the guys at the now-defunct FireJoeMorgan.com (who closed the site to write for the show Parks & Recreation) came back to the Internet for one day and wrote it better than I could. Damn them.

-You ever see something that, for some reason, bothers you more than it really should? There is a commercial for Ikea that is on all the time and every time I see it, something irks me about it. The premise is that a man and wife come home from vacation, collapse onto their Ikea mattress and profess their devotion to it because the hotel mattress was so awful. On the whole a fine commercial. But, there is a detail that bothers me - the bed is completely stripped. No sheet, no comforter, no pillows - nothing. Who strips their bed before they go on vacation? I'm only down in Wareham for a couple days and I actually went the opposite way and made my bed before I left.

-This might be the cutest video of the week. Also, nice job by the father to just sort of let it slide. Too often we see the guys who run over their kids to get a foul ball and while this guy makes a nice catch he laughs off what happens next.

No comments: