Tuesday, September 22, 2009

That's Why Directions Are On The Bag

This year the lawn has been a real sense of pride. For the first time in years the lawn came in really healthy (I'm thinking the 800 lbs of grass seed played a factor) and looked good for most of the summer. We had a minor crab grass issue late, but still, I'll take what I can get. Anyway, as the season switches from summer to fall, it's time to begin putting down all the stuff that will ensure the lawn looks good next year as well. Today I was outside getting ready to put fertilizer down, fully convinced that I was going to be fine because there is a chance of rain tomorrow and I always thought that was how you are supposed to do it - put the fertilizer down and then either let it rain or water the lawn. But, as I was reading the label to find out what I should set the spreader to it turns out that you should water the lawn first, then put down fertilizer and hope it doesn't rain for 24 hours. Suddenly the mystery of why the lawn never survived the winter was cleared up.

This got me to thinking: what other activities have I been doing where I was convinced I was going about it the right way when it turns out I was way off? Of course, the problem is I can't answer that question because it won't be until after I find out that I've been doing things wrong that I'll know I was doing it wrong. Until then I'll just go on assuming I've got the order correct. It's quite the Catch 22 (also, if you followed what the hell I was trying to say there you deserve a cookie).

-You know, Fantasy Football isn't nearly as much fun when you know you're going to lose and it's only a matter of time before it becomes official. Going into last night's game I was up by only 5 points, had no one left to play from my team and the guy I was playing had Peyton Manning. If he threw for over 100 yards and a touchdown I lost. So what happens? 15 seconds into the game Manning throws an 80 yard touchdown to Dallas Clark. At least I didn't feel like I was missing anything when I switching away from the game to watch Big Bang Theory instead.

No comments: