Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I Could Do That

During my brief but award-winning college play-by-play career I tried a little bit of everything. I called baseball, football, softball, basketball, even lacrosse. But, I never was called upon to broadcast a soccer game. Mostly it was because that's what we made freshman do, but also since I never played soccer I figured I wouldn't know what I was talking about and it would come across on the radio. But yesterday I found myself watching soccer (go ahead and take a second to let that sink in, cause I was just as shocked as you are) and paid special attention to the job the announcers were doing. It was not exactly the hardest job in the world, because here's a pretty good summary of what the guy said:

"Anderson... Fletcher... Anderson... Park... Fletcher... Anderson.... Park... Out of Bounds."

And that was it. 45 minutes of just saying last names as players passed the ball around. That guy probably makes 6 figures a year. Maybe I should have tried calling a game somewhere along the line.

-While I'm not exactly happy about the way the Red Sox have sort of been stumbling to the finish line this season, I am pleased with the way that they backed into the Wild Card spot last night. By losing against the Blue Jays, but then having the Rangers lose to the Angels at about 1 AM on the East Coast, it prevented them from being able to go nuts and shower each other with beer and champagne. I find an over-the-top celebration for simply making the playoffs to be in poor taste, especially when you consider the team's payroll and the talent on the roster. If a team like the Rockies, who traded their best player during the offseason, have a low payroll and made a manager change early in the season make the playoffs, I can see why they would want to celebrate. But the Red Sox were supposed to make the playoffs and not just as the Wild Card. Save the celebrations for winning the World Series, or at least the ALCS.

-So, wait, is Jessica Biel single or not? Cause I'm still looking for a date to this wedding in a couple weeks and I think we would have a wonderful time.

No comments: