Saturday, April 4, 2009

Another Question Answered...

I have a good relationship with my barber. Really, next to accountant and mechanic it's probably one of the more important trust relationships you can build. I need to take my glasses off to get my haircut, so when he takes the clippers to my head I'm flying blind and on trust. It's gotten to the point that I don't even have to say anything when I go to see Mony, I just sit down and start talking about the Patriots while he does his thing.

The place I go to is called J&M Styles and it actually serves both men and women. Usually I find time to go during the week so I can get in and out, but I have an interview on Tuesday and most hair places aren't open Sunday or Monday. So today I had to hang out there for almost an hour while he finished up the people in front of me. While I had the time to think about it, I decided if I were ever to go to barber college (hey, it's a recession-proof job. A lot more than writer/editor, it turns out) then I would only be a barber, not a stylist.

Women are way too into their hair, it turns out. I sit down, he buzzes my head and I'm done in 15 minutes. The women in front of me needed everything washed, styled, blown dry, cut, styled some more, cut a little more, then styled and then sprayed. It's just too much of a process for me. In the time it took him to cut and style the girl in front of me the other girl working cut 2 guys' hair and was halfway into her third client. I think being a guy-only shop would just be a lot more cost effective.

No comments: