Friday, April 24, 2009

The Great Handle Debate of '09

When my sister and brother-in-law bought their house, one of the first things they did was to go out and buy all new handles for their kitchen cabinets and drawers. It's a little thing as far as home improvements go, but it can make a major difference. It updates the look of the whole room in one fell swoop (trust me, I watch Flip this House).

We've had the same handles on the cabinets in our kitchen since we moved in here, 20+ years ago. Now, I don't notice them anymore, but I guess that's the issue. So, my parents decided to change the handles in the kitchen. The question now is what to go with. The faucet on the sink is a brushed gun metal color, but all the appliances are black. Plus, none of the men in the family are blessed with small digits, so being able to get out fat fingers in there is also something that needs to be considered. The only way to really choose is to buy some samples, put them up and see how they fit in the room.

Well, 8 samples later, none of them are the clear favorites to be the new handles. Some are the right feel, but the wrong color. Others are the right color, but a little too ornate for our house. My personal plan to have 32 different handles was quickly shot down as not going to happen. Now, we're having a family party this weekend and I think it'll turn into an election. Everyone can vote on which they like the best (Marshall, showing his MIT education, has already said he likes whichever one my mom likes) and then we'll simply throw out the results and buy more samples.

No comments: