Monday, April 20, 2009

Patriots' Day

A.K.A. - Suck on that, rest of America.

This is a holiday in only two states, Massachusetts and Maine (and they only get to play along because they used to be part of Massachusetts). Today commemorates the first battles of the American Revolution in Lexington and Concord. It's also the day that the Red Sox have a ridiculously early game and crazy people run 26 miles in the Boston Marathon. There is a lot going on, so yeah, we just take the day off. As an added bonus there are both Celtics' and Bruins' playoff games tonight.

As a kid I remember going to Concord to see a reenactment of the first battle. I couldn't tell you about the actual battle, I just remember we had to get up really early in the morning, it was cold out and I couldn't see a damn thing. I'm sure it was lovely and historical, though.

I look at the holiday as a reward to Massachusetts for having to shovel out all winter. The weather has finally started to improve, spring had sprung and soon girls in tank tops will dot the landscape. It's a great time of year.

Also, here is my official Marathon preview: pick a Kenyan to win.

No comments: