Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Just Short and TV Spoilers

-Alas, the "Mary Coughlin for Housing Authority" bid came up a couple hundred votes short. It's too bad, but for her first-ever election I would say that my aunt did very well.

-So between watching the town election results show (public access TV at it's... let's go with public access TViest) and the National Championship Game that was over after 20 minutes, it was not a great night of TV. I had wanted to watch House, cause they had hyped the crap out of it, but had instead decided to settle in with the online version of it the next day. They had promised a big twist. Thanks to clicking on Google News: Entertainment I got the twist without ever having to watch the show. In that regard I should be happy they saved me 44 minutes of my life.

This minor thing (I'm not a huge fan of the show and therefore it didn't ruin my day or anything) speaks to the larger issue. In this day and age, what is the protocol about revealing show endings? With so much media to chose from and everyone trying to cram it all in during prime time, viewers are increasingly reliant on their DVR's when it comes to watching shows that are on opposite each other. In a day when people can view movies before they're released, should anyone honestly expect to make it through the day without hearing about how something like a TV show ends? Also, when it's a story like this (go look it up if you're so inclined... I won't be spoiling it here), which blends an aspect of a TV show with an actual news story, that will just blur the line even further.

Personally my solution is as follows: unless some one asks you to reveal an ending with the "I'm probably not going to get around to seeing it anyways" rationale, then you need to keep movie ending to yourself until it has been out on video for 2 months and TV plot twist should be on lockdown for 48 hours. If they haven't seen the movie or TV show by then it probably wasn't that important to them.

-It's not that I endorse vandalism or stealing, but don't we hear this story every other year? I have to be honest... I just don't think I care anymore.

No comments: