Thursday, April 23, 2009

Who Doesn't Love a Dancing Bear?

In honor of their sweep over the Canadiens, I'm gonna talk a little Bruins hockey today.

Don't worry, I'm not about to jump on the Bruins' bandwagon. Frankly, between prepping for the NFL Draft and watching the Celtics making a title defense while simultaneously trying to piece a line-up together with Brian Scalabrine, Mikki Moore and some duct tape, my fan IQ is stretched pretty thin as it is. I don't think I could give them the attention they deserve.

The Bruins and I divorced back in 2005, when the NHL locked it's players out. Up until that time the team had been notoriously cheap, under the guise that a league-wide economic armageddon was coming and that a salary cap would have to be put in place. Turns out, they were right on (doesn't excuse they previous cheapness, though. Plenty of teams spent money, competed and didn't go bankrupt). They were perfectly positioned to make a killing in free agency as almost all their players' contracts expired at the same time. They had a ton of available money and almost every big name player was there for the taking at a reduced price. It was like starting a fantasy team. Then, because they are the Bruins, they went for the lower and second tier (read: older and cheaper) players. When this didn't work they gave Joe Thornton away for pretty much nothing. That would be when I checked out.

I've kept an eye on the B's since then, mostly because playoff hockey might be the best thing to see live. I went in 2002 against the Canadiens and the building was shaking. But, I'm not about to jump back on and start pretending I was loyal this whole time - it's disrespectful to the die-hards who have hung on through thick and thin. I hated those people who started following the Celtics once Garnett showed up; I'm hardly about to become one of them.

That being said the Bruins have a new ad campaign out and it's very amusing. So, I thought I would share a couple with you, cause who doesn't love a bear with integrity (even if he did steal my dance moves)?



2 comments:

Tami said...

are you sure that's not you in that bear suit?

Tom said...

Nah, if it was me there would have been more pointing and I would have done the sprinkler head.