Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Does This Mean I Have to Start Twittering?

As a rule, I try and avoid fads. I never was one to bend to fashion fads like $170 sneakers (though foot size played a part in that), I won't watch popular television shows when everyone at work tells me I need to and I resist doing the latest Internet craze until after it's already peaked. I didn't get onto MySpace until late in the game (only ended up with like 13 friends and now couldn't even tell you the last time I look at it) and probably won't have Facebook until everyone stops having them.

The newest thing is Twitter. Now, of course the cool kids have been 'tweeting' for years already, but, it didn't really take off until a couple months ago. At first it was kept to people who actually, you know, had something to say. Now, however, anyone and every is on Twitter, most with nothing to say. I don't mind the people who update once or twice a day and have something amusing to post. It's the people who feel the need to update every 10 minutes to tell us that they are still at work that get to me. "Just landed at the airport" is a popular one among the constant Twittering crowd. Good, now why not call your family, who are probably more interested in that than anyone else? It has essentially become the adult version of an AIM Away Message.

I just think that if you're going to bore people with mindless drivel that at the end of the day has no real point, you should at least have the common courtesy to expand it out to several paragraphs featuring extensive run-on sentences.

So, as you can tell, I am pretty anti-Twitter and felt no reason to start tweeting. But that was because the only thing on the line was my coolness factor. If I'm already not cool, know that I'm not cool and don't care that I'm not cool, then I have nothing really to lose. But now important things, like Celtics tickets are up for grabs.... in other words, you can probably follow me on Twitter really soon.

2 comments:

Liz said...

We should be twitter friends!!!

Tom said...

If I sign up for twitter, you know it. I should also mention that I find Tina Fey's to be brilliant: http://twitter.com/TinaFey