Saturday, March 7, 2009

This Just Works

So with my dad recovering very nicely from his recent knee surgery, he's been able to work from his home office, as stairs are no longer a problem. As a result, the laptop he was using to work from his room has become an extra luxury. So, he had the brilliant idea to bring the laptop downstairs and keep it near the TV. Now, my brother-in-law was the pioneer of this idea, but that doesn't make my dad's decision to implement it any less brilliant.

Having Internet access right next to the TV is a great idea, because whenever I watch TV I always have questions that I would like an immediate answer to. But, by the time I finish watching whatever it is, go upstairs, fire up the computer and get online I've completely forgotten what I was going to look at in the first place (fun fact about me: this doesn't mean it's gone forever. In fact, usually it will pop up later when I should be paying attention to something else. I've been in conversations with people and just blurted out: "Robert Loggia. That's the name I was trying to think of"). By having the laptop within an arm's length it really cuts down on the entire process.

It's great when you're watching a movie and saying to yourself, 'what else do I know that guy from?' A quick jaunt to IMDB and it's figured out with no problem. It's also handy when you're watching sports. You can look up a guy's stats in the middle of the game. For example, as I'm typing this (from an incredibly comfortable recliner, by the way) I'm watching the Bruins play the Blackhawks. I was just wondering when, exactly, did Chicago trade Roenick to Phoenix? Boom - looked it up with no problems (it was 1996, in case you were wondering). Also, James Naismith was the founder of the Kansas basketball team and thus, they named the court after him. And to think, all this time I never knew he left Springfield.

Ain't technology grand?

-You know, there are a lot of reasons that I'm happy to be a Celtics fan. The team has an unparalleled history, tremendous, loud and knowledgeable fans and a tradition that no one in basketball can question. But, after watching the Celtics play the Cavaliers last night, I'm also happy to be a Celtics fan because of the uniforms. The C's have classic and clean uniforms that haven't changed in years. The Cavaliers have about 10 alternate jerseys, each one uglier than the last. I think I would really hate myself if I had to wear this. I mean, if I was a Cavaliers fan I would still wear it, but I would not be happy with it.

No comments: