Monday, March 30, 2009

The Power of Product Placement

It was cold and rainy all day Sunday. I had planned to hit the driving range, but there are only so many covered bays at McGolf, which is where I have several gift certificates. Instead I was lazy and sat on my couch, watching golf and basketball all day (I got three out of four for the Final Four; unfortunately the one I missed was the team I had winning the National Championship).

During my time bouncing between the couch and the recliner I saw a lot of commercials. The commercials during basketball were what you would expect: domestic beer, trucks, cell phones and sports bars. The commercials during golf were also what you would expect: import beer, Cadillacs, banks and prostate medication.

Now, you can only see the same images so many times before they start to have an impact on you. It was probably the fifteenth or sixteenth time that I saw the ad for prostate medication (you know, the one where the guys at the baseball game can't pass the popcorn cause Bob is standing in line for the bathroom again; apparently your friend having prostate issues effects your ability to pass over an empty chair) when I was hit with a sudden urge: Damn, I want some popcorn.

I had some and it was great. Now, they weren't trying to get me to buy popcorn but, man, did I get a craving. So, I think that should be the new way to advertise. Put the thing you're trying to sell in an ad for something else. They already do it in movies, why should TV be any different?

No comments: