Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hoop Time and Drunk Babies

-This is one of my favorite days of the year. Starting at noon, there will be basketball on TV pretty much for the next 4 days straight. You can not beat this... unless you own a business, in which case you're screwed. American productivity plummets during March Madness as people across the country take time away from work to fill out brackets, check scores and watch games online during the day. March Madness also provides me with the most compelling case as to why World Series games could start at a descent hour, as it proves that people will find a way to watch their favorite sporting events come hell or high water.

As for my brackets, I unfortunately seemed to have picked a lot of chalk. I didn't plan it that way, because I don't think there are any particularly strong teams in the tournament this year. But, I did each region individually, without paying attention to how they would compare to the other ones and it wasn't until I took a step back that I noticed just how many favorites I had gone with. While I have several lower seeds winning in the first two rounds, by the time they get to the Sweet 16 they end up running into the highest-seeded teams. And those team, while not great, are a lot less likely to be upset after a week of prep time. As a result my Final Four features two 2 seed and two 1 seeds. Now, I used the formula that the Big East > ACC > Big 12 > Big 10 > SEC to break any close match-ups. At least that explains why my Elite 8 is so Big East heavy.

Also, I've got Pittsburgh winning the whole thing, but at least I admit it's just a wild guess.

-So, Addison and Charlotte joined us for dinner last night. It was during dinner that I realized that the analogy of kids being small drunk people is pretty accurate. While we were eating, Charlotte was in her bouncy chair, just making noise to no one in particular and drooling on herself, much like the guy who is drunk by 8 o'clock and spends the rest of the party in the corner, talking to himself. Meanwhile Addison was sitting next to me, pulling on my arm, hair messed up, and speaking excitedly if not very clearly while pointing out obvious things like, "Eyes!" I felt like I was in college all over again. And I thought my time of dealing with drunk girls ended in January.

1 comment:

Shivaun said...

UNCLE TOMMY
UNCLE TOMMY
UNCLE TOMMY
UNCLE TOMMY



hi