Saturday, March 28, 2009

New Glasses

So, a couple weeks ago I was watching TV when my glasses snapped. The weird thing is that I literally wasn't doing anything but sitting when they broke. Apparently the crack in the frame had been building for a while. At first, I thought I could get away with simply gluing them back together. Now is not the time for frivolous spending. I mean, shit, it's just my eyes.

But, after a couple days and one disastrous golf trip in which I had a wicked migraine because of my lenses constantly shifting, I decided that I couldn't just keep patching them together and I needed new glasses.

I had planned to just order new frames off the Internet, but I needed to get my eyes checked first. I hadn't had my eyes tested in a while and I wasn't sure if my prescription had changed at all. So, I went to my old eye doctor and had him check me out. Turns out that my left eye hasn't changed at all and my right eye had just a slight change. However, since I hadn't had my eyes looked at in a few years, he decided to go all out and also give me the glaucoma test.

In the time that had passed since my last test I had forgotten what exactly goes into a glaucoma test. But, I lined up in the machine and sat there when my eye was blasted with air. "That can be startling when you get it tested first thing in the morning," my eye doctor commented. Maybe, but I contend having a puff of air hit your eye when you're not ready for it will be startling at any time. I am glaucoma free, however, and that's just good to know.

Turns out that Four Eyes is having a sale of two pairs for $99. I was actually pleasantly surprised to find that they had a descent selection for me to look at, despite my fat Lithuanian head. I ended up getting both new glasses and a pair of sunglasses. I haven't had prescription sunglasses for years, so that'll be a nice luxury to have.

4 comments:

Tami said...

Did you by any chance have someone (sisters or other people who disapproved of your last pair of glasses) with you when you picked your new pair? That little detail could possibly help you to avoid annoyances in the future. Just my two cents.
~tami.

Tom said...

As a man, all decision making ability about my appearance was taken from me at age 15 (I hope to get it back around age 65). So yes, there was a committee, even including the women who worked at FourEyes.

Katie said...

Dude, www.zennioptical.com. Two new pairs of glasses (lenses and frames) plus shipping = $37. And they are some stylin' glasses too. Thanks to Shiv for that referral. Todd uses them too.

Tom said...

I'm probably going to end up using that site for a backup pair. I just didn't want to risk them screwing up my presciption and having to wait even longer while I sent them back to get fixed.