Monday, March 16, 2009

He Could Have Missed, You Know...

-I consider myself a pretty passionate sports fan. If it's an important game, I'm not answering the phone. I'll yell at the TV, throw pillows and jump up on big plays. I get really into it and act as if my actions could actually have an effect on what I'm seeing on TV. And yes, I get mad when my team gives up a big play. If I see a back get through the line for a break-away touchdown I get pissed. But, my first thought is usually "God, I hope there was holding on that play." It is not, "Man, I wish I had a gun to shoot that running back."

All I am saying is that goals in soccer are not guaranteed. That guy would not have been the first soccer player in history to have missed on a break-away. A shot into the air probably would have been just as effective in distracting him. Also, how did you get a gun into the stadium? In America we can't bring in bottled water.

-On a lighter note, I bring you the story (via Deadspin) of Unni Haskell, a 62 year-old from Florida who decided to take up golf in retirement. She took a couple months of lessons, decided she had had enough of the practice range and wanted to play a real round. Her teacher took her out to the nearby course, she teed up on a 100 yard par 3, took her first swing in a game of golf... and got a hole in one. Now, despite her comment of "I thought all golfers do this" (shut up, lady) it's a cute little story. But the amusing part to me is if you scroll down to the comments. Some of them are light-hearted ("it's all downhill from here") but some of them are just dickheaded. People are pissed cause she used a range ball, others are unimpressed cause it was on a short par 3 and others wonder why this is even news. See, Unni, this is why I write my golf blog... cause no one, even golfers, want to hear unsolicited golf stories.

No comments: