Saturday, March 14, 2009

Reason #101 I Know I'm Getting Old...

I no longer get excited when the Eastbay catalog shows up at my house.

For those of you who aren't familiar, Eastbay is a catalog with any kind of sport equipment you could ever need (well, minus golf), in every color and size you could imagine, broken up by sport. When I was younger, I loved the days that Eastbay showed up at my house. I used to pour through it and circle all the stuff I wanted - it was how I did my Christmas list for my parents. Then, I would always watch the mail for when the tell-tale silver packages showed up.

Now when it arrives I'll give it a token flip-through and toss it in the recycling bin. The only thing it comes in handy for anymore is sneakers. Finding a pair of size 14 at a store can be an issue, especially if you want a little bit of style. But, other than a sweet pair of green and white running sneakers last August, I don't think I've bought anything from the Eastbay catalog in years. The bottom line is that I just don't need any cleats, gloves or knee braces anymore. Even my jersey buying is slipping. I mean, I don't even have a Ray Allen jersey. What the hell is that? Back in the day I would have the jersey from every member of the Celtics' starting five, and that was when they were going 15-67.

To their credit, Eastbay keeps trying. I get email deals from them every day and I seem to get a new Eastbay catalog every couple of weeks, along with the Final Score catalog of all the stuff that's on sale and the Fielder's Choice catalog of nothing but baseball equipment (oh, that one came in handy). But, despite the constant deals they throw my way, I still don't find anything I really want in any of their catalogs. I guess after a while you just find a better way to shop and more adult needs than sports equipment.

Now, if you'll excuse me, the Golfer's Warehouse catalog has shown up and I have some circling to do.

-Oh, and Happy Birthday, Amy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ray Allen's son goes to pre-school with my boss's daughter. My boss says hi and sometimes has chats with him every morning and has never watched a Celtic's game.
David Ortiz's kid is in the class too. Imagine? How badly do you wish you were in pre-school in Weston, MA?