Monday, June 8, 2009

Coolers Shouldn't Be High Maintenance

As the calendar turns to June, the weather gets better around here (it's actually been great so far. We're almost halfway through June and we haven't even turned the A/C on once - and I'm a man who likes his A/C). As the summer gets closer, I find myself in more and more need for a good cooler. After all, even if the cottage is less than two blocks to the beach, doesn't mean I want to walk back just to get a cold beverage.

For the most part we just keep our coolers on the back deck, tucked neatly under the benches until such time as they are pressed into service. But, as I pulled them out to be cleaned, I realised the flaws of such storage. Basically, what has been happening is we get them all clean and shiny, use them once, put them back under the bench and allow them to get re-covered in pollen and whatever else the rain stirs up. The next time we need one the pattern repeats itself. So, essentially, we have to scrub them down every single time we want to use them. As systems go, it is not the most efficient.

I finally decided to break the cycle, because as I was cleaning the coolers out today I realised that I don't need one tomorrow and according to the weather reports, it's going to rain for the next 4 days straight. If I leave them out on the deck then they're just going to get coated with pollen all over again and I just wasted 30 minutes of my life cleaning these things (honestly, if I wanted to waste 30 minutes I can do much better than that). So, from now on, if you need a cooler they'll either be in the shed or on the sun porch.

Also, do you think it's possible to buy new plugs for the drain of a cooler, or am I totally screwed on that one? I would hate to have to stop using what is probably the best cooler I have just because I lost a 2-inch piece of plastic.

No comments: