Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thanks for Doing Me a Solid, Mother Nature...

As I've said before, I'm anti-light when it comes time for bed. There are some people who can fall asleep with the windows open and the TV on in the middle of the day - I am just not one of those people. I tried to keep it as dark as possible in my room. This is made harder because any light that manages to creep into my room feels even brighter, just due to the lack of any other light source.

For a while now I have contemplated going with curtains in addition to the mini-blinds that now cover my windows. Sure, it seems excessive, but it is a great way to ensure that I'll be able to achieve the cave-like conditions that make it easier for me to fall asleep. It was especially difficult during this winter as a full moon and freshly-fallen snow made for a reflective show that was the equivalent of pointing a search light into my windows.

But, as with Spring herself, a new season brings new solutions. Turns out that of the multitude of tree branches that surround my house, most aren't dead as I thought all winter. And now as the season gets further on and thanks to the month or so of rain we have had, the trees are doing quite well. They have filled in nicely with leaves. Leaves that provide a nice block to the moonlight while I'm trying to go to bed. Leaves = Nature's Curtains.

-First they let Jimmy Buffet name their stadium, and now the Miami Dolphins are going to be partly owned by Gloria Estefan. Well, they may not win many football games (sorry, Dolphin fans, but the groaning you're about to hear is what happens when everyone has an offseason to plan for the wildcat and Chad Pennington is your starting quarterback), but at least halftime entertainment is taken care of for the foreseeable future.

No comments: