Sunday, June 7, 2009

Lazy Sunday Ramblings

-I've created a monster now that I know how to put YouTube videos on my iPod. I'm going to have a Celtic highlight section before too long. Before I never thought I'd fill 30GB... instead I'm wondering if I should upgrade to the 80G.

-For the 30th time in a row, my system of picking whichever horse draws #6 in big races was flawed. Then again, I'm not any more off than the guys who do this for a living, as the favorite horse came in third.

-Is it a requirement that to be a great tennis player you must also be insanely boring? Federer has matched Sampras not only in Grand Slam wins, but in the blandness of his public speaking. You need a Jolt Cola just to make it through their interviews. On the other hand, Agassi was the flashy media darling but never quite got to their level on the court.

-Also, did anyone get that Jolt Cola reference, or am I dating myself? For you kids out there, think Red Bull, but with more sugar cause it's soda.

-Speaking of dating myself, I present "the way that I am acting old this week": I don't want to use my new golf toy cause I'm afraid I'll leave divots in the lawn. Next I'll start watching Matlock re-runs.

-One of my favorite baseball traditions is that no one talks to a pitcher if he's got a no-hitter or perfect game going. It's one of those quirky rules that everyone seems to respect for no rational reason.

-Also, David Ortiz, you should not have taken a curtain call for a 100 foot homerun off the bottom of Pesky Pole. Another foot and that thing was going foul, so let's just settle down. We all want you to turn this thing around, and when you do stuff like that it instead feels looks a guy who knows he's on the way out the door.

-You know what show is the ultimate proof that the majority of television shows are put on the air by drunk people? SpikeTV's The Deadliest Warrior. It is the perfect example of what happens when a bar discussion that couldn't be settled ("Dude, who wins a fight between a ninja and a pirate?"), is put into the hands of people who run a television network. Add to that a chance to show off really exotic weapons and an opportunity for actors to act the fights out at the end of the episode and you've got a winning formula. I watched a couple episodes over the course of this week and it's insanely enjoyable. Though, I still think it's crap that they think a pirate would beat a knight.

No comments: