Saturday, June 13, 2009

TV Fighting and Phish Fail

During my everyday life, I'll avoid conflict when possible. When someone starts to argue with me, especially in the areas of religion or politics, the question of "Do I really care that much?" will flash through my head. Often the answer is no, I don't. So, I let it go and allow the person to go off - perfectly aware that, while they think they won the argument, they could actually be really wrong. Or it could be that I'm right but I just don't care. Also, I get bonus points for being the bigger person in that situation. In my head it's win/win.

However, I do love to watch other people in conflict and it's even better when it's on TV. You put two sports know-it-alls near each other and an argument is bound to happen (as a sports know-it-all, I know this better than most. That is the one topic I will not back down from; screw being the bigger man.). If there is one thing we sports know-it-alls hate is to be questioned about the one thing we could be considered an expert it. For example, if you want to question me on the Celtics, I hope you brought a drink of water, cause you're going to be here a while. And we especially hate it when someone does it publicly. Today I was watching golf when a player faced a long shot with a tree in his way. The following conversation then happened:

Announcer 1:
With a long shot like this, I would imagine that he will play a fade and just hope to get it on the far side of the green.
Announcer 2:
I don't see why, he could easily play a punch shot under the tree and try to get to the center of the green.
Announcer 1, fighting the urge to end every sentence with "You idiot":
No, that's too high risk a shot, he could end up in the front bunker. The fade is the smart play.
Announcer 2, fighting the urge to question how many tournaments Announcer 1 has won:
I'd rather be in a bunker close than 75 feet away on the green.
(10 second of silence, where I am sure the mikes are just off, but they're still "discussing" the shot.)

Now, this wasn't exactly a throw down, but as golf announcers go, this was as tense as it gets. And, as you would expect, it didn't even matter as the guy pulled 3 wood, went straight for the pin and made them both look stupid. But, it spiced up the telecast for a minute.

-Of course this guy was going to a Phish concert when he thought this was a good idea. Phish fans are always the big thinkers in any group and they're used to buying grass. I don't get his logic, because if this is indeed grass seed from the old Yankee Stadium, then what you're doing is bringing the mojo of 26 World Series to your greatest rival. Also, this guy manages a Hooters, which is nice, but it's a Hooters in Vermont. That's a little like managing a hip-hop studio in Omaha - but, I guess sometimes you just need to make due with what you have.

No comments: