Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Inspection Time, Take 2

I admit, I probably have an unusual interest in numbers. I strongly believe that certain numbers should be considered unlucky and I want nothing to do with them. I found most people don't pay attention to numbers during the everyday details and so my interest probably comes off as even weirder than it should. Six is a great number. Seven, however, sucks. It is because of my love of the number six and loathing of the number seven that I made sure to have my car inspected early enough that should it need repair, I could still get a number six for my inspection sticker (I know they're supposed to give you the number of the month you failed, regardless of when you get re-tested, but not all mechanics are stringent about that. They think they're helping you out by giving you an extra month.). Anyways, it is because I gave myself enough time that I was down trying to get my car re-inspected on the last day of the month, which is like going to the post office on April 15th to mail a package that doesn't have to be anywhere until June. Sure, you can do it that day, but it's not a good idea.

I first rolled up to the place where I failed last week only to find three cars ahead of me. The head mechanic told me it would be at least a half an hour before they got to my car. Not wanting to just sit around I drove off to do an errand, returned 40 minutes later and discovered two of those same cars still sat in front of me. Never mind, I would be back later. I went home, had some lunch and came back after a couple hours, determined to just get this inspection process over with. There was only one car ahead of me in the bay, so I wouldn't be waiting long. But, when that car finished the guy who would be doing my inspection (same as last week) came out and asked if he could just do a quick tire rotation on another car before he got to me. It would take five minutes. I agreed, trying to build up some goodwill with this guy. He finally got to me 20 or so minutes later and drove my truck into the bay.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I don't even think they re-test cars when they come in after failing the first time. I think they just assume you went ahead and fixed whatever the problem was. I didn't hear a peep out of that bay the entire time my truck was in there. For all I know he went out back to have a smoke. This suspicion was half-confirmed when he drove my truck back out, with it's new street-legal sticker on the windshield. We then had the following conversation. (What I said is in normal font, what I thought is in bold):

Him: Hey, you got the front break pads done.
Me: Uh, yeah. Cause you told me I had to. You failed me for it before.
Him: Well, you're all good now.
Me: And here it comes...
Him: But.
Me: I knew it.
Him: You need to keep an eye on those front tires.
Me: I'm stunned you didn't fail me for them last time.
Him: I didn't say nothing about them before...
Me: Is it because if you failed me for them today, after passing them seven days ago you can tell I'll shove a pen through your eye?
Him: But you're gonna need new ones soon.
Me: Yeah, I had a ball joint problem a while back so...
Him: Don't say nothing, just go.
Me: Oh, ok. Why, is the asshole who let them pass last time gonna hear? It was you! Now you're all about doing me a favor? Why didn't you let my brake pads go then!

In the end, however, it all worked out. I've passed my inspection and I am done with the process for another year. I just need to scope out yet another place to try for next June.

No comments: