Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sports Quickies and a Time Killer

-Holy crap, time flies. ESPN was running a retrospective look at the O.J. Simpson slow-speed chase because it occurred 15 years ago today. This was one of those moments in time that people all seem to remember where they were as it was happening. You know what I remember about it? That I didn't watch any of it. I was sleeping over my buddy Frank's house that night and we watched stupid action movies all night. Didn't hear a thing about it until the next day. Even 15 years ago I wasn't up on my current events.

-Speaking of California, I will never understand the need to riot after a championship. I was watching the footage of people going nuts after the Lakers won. What does a basketball game have to do with taking down newspaper stands? Also, how is it that Pittsburgh can throw a parade for the Penguins, but the Lakers needed private donations to have theirs? How is Pittsburgh doing better financially than L.A.?

-After 15 seasons, the Timberwolves and Kevin McHale have decided to part ways. Too bad, Kev, I think with another 10 years or so you may have been able to turn that team around. At least now you can show up at Celtics games wearing the 2008 Championship Ring Danny Ainge slipped you.

-I have no sympathy for Joe Buck. None. What did you expect Artie Lange to do? Have you never heard him on Stern before? Especially when you walk backstage and offer such kind words to him like "Don't Suck." Way to inspire the troops. If that show was supposed to hook me in to HBO, it ended up doing exactly the opposite. I give it 1 season, no more.

-Sammy Sosa took steroids? In equally shocking news, the sky is blue...

-I've been playing golf for a year now, so I feel qualified to offer a guess and thus, here's my US Open pick: Tiger. Normally I hate that "Tiger vs. The Field" argument, because it's insane to think no one else could possibly step up and challenge Woods. This is the toughest course of the year with the biggest field. But this year none of the big names are playing very well: Harrington, AK, Vijay, Stenson, Furyk - no one is playing as well as Woods. And you know Phil is going to be off his game - he is human, after all. If it's not Tiger then it will be some random competitor who currently sits off the radar.

-Are you looking to kill an hour... or ten? Check out Sporcle. It's a quiz website that is insanely addictive. I'm excellent at the sports quizzes. The history and geography? Not so much (though, I did get all 50 states in under 5 minutes). I'm not sure what it says about me when I can't come close to naming all the Presidents of the United States, but I got all of George Carlin's 7 words you can't say on television in under 30 seconds.

No comments: