Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Curious Case of Lil Kim

I make no secret of the fact that I have songs on my iPod I don't even like. Hell, you could say there are songs on there I can't stand. I skip them every time they appear on my shuffle. Yesterday, as I was syncing my iPod with my iTunes, it recalculated to see the songs that I have played the most. There are no surprises at the top of the list. Lots of plays for Journey, Rascal Flatts and the Notre Dame fight song (a tune I am so fond of I have been known to put it on other people's iPods without being asked... you're welcome).

But, on a whim, I decided to see just what songs I dislike the most. Not including the songs that I have just recently added (and since I finally figured out how to convert and add music videos off of YouTube, there are lots of new additions), typically the files with the least amount of plays are ones that I had previously needed for work: music beds, sound effect and movie quotes (nothing breaks up the monotony of music like a random Chris Farley quote getting thrown in).

In this grouping, though, there is only one actual song that has literally one play: "The Jump Off" by Lil Kim. This is peculiar to me for a couple of reasons. First off, I can't remember what the hell I even needed this song for. It's not like I don't like hip hop - my freshman year of college I felt very strongly that DMX was the greatest rapper ever - but I cant think of any of my friends that would have liked this song enough for me to feel the need to download if for them. The other reason that I'm surprised it has just the one play is I usually set my iPod to play for an hour while I go to sleep. The fact that it never came up during that time is just curious to me. Alas, now we may never know the real reason of how it came to be on my iPod, as I cut the cord and deleted it to save some space (cut to the part when someone asks me to put it in a playlist for them).

-I was a little surprised when Rodney Harrison retired this week. I figured that being carted off the field was not the way he wanted to go out. But, sometimes the body just decides it's had enough, even when the spirit is still willing. He was a great addition to those Super Bowl winning Patriot teams and I feel that Eugene Wilson especially owes him thanks for hiding the fact that Wilson wasn't a particularly good NFL safety for a number of seasons. I think that Harrison will eventually get into the Hall of Fame. As the only defensive back in NFL history with 30 sacks and 30 interceptions, the numbers are just too great to ignore. The fact that he wasn't the most popular player during his career (classic "you hated him until he's on your team" guy) may prevent him from getting in on the first ballot, but I think eventually he'll make it.

I'm not happy that he's joining NBC's Football Night in America. Not because I don't like the show, but because I think there are already too many people there. They already had like 10 guys in studio and this year they've added both Tony Dungy and Rodney Harrison. It's only an hour long show - when you factor in commercials and highlights, everyone will get about 10 seconds of individual camera time to make their points. I know that suddenly they had all this extra money on the budget with Madden retiring, but jees, you couldn't instead spend it on composing music that does sound like you ripped it directly from the Star Wars score?

No comments: