Friday, October 16, 2009

Dear Medfield...

I was out and about today, at one point I was driving through Medfield, when I noticed something: almost every single road sign on Rt 27 had some kind of graffiti on it. Didn't matter what kind of sign it was - speed limit, do not pass, no parking - someone had taken some spray paint to it in an attempt to be clever. They usually failed in this attempt, though there isn't much you can do with a 'No U Turn' sign. It's not unusual to see some road signs that have been altered, but the fact that it was on so many signs was surprising to me. Either there is nothing to do in Medfield or someone had a big sale on spray paint. The only piece of advice I have to the kids on Medfield is that you either need to find a hobby or you should at least use white spray paint on road signs - when someone is driving past at 45 mph it makes it harder to tell that it's been messed with.

-While I agree that this is the first time in the Charlie Weis era that the Fighting Irish actually have a good chance to beat USC, I don't think it's a positive sign that the players are admitting this is the first time they believe they can win. Emotions are a huge part of college athletics, so the old 'believing you can win is the first step towards victory' is very true. To me that means Charlie isn't doing a good enough job of propping the team up. That being said, I have high hopes for the Irish this Saturday. Facing a true freshman quarterback, at home and USC is clearly having some growing pains after losing several starters to the NFL. If they can't get them this year than Charlie may never beat USC. In many regards I'm actually happy I won't be able to watch this game - if they win I can just enjoy it after the fact and should they come up short I won't be annoyed for the rest of the day.

-It snowed around here this morning. Now, it didn't stick and was gone very quickly, but what happened to the transitional weather this year? It seemed like in going from spring to summer we jumped from temperatures in the 70s to the mid 90s and now as we are going from fall to winter we've got snowflakes falling in mid-October. Usually we can at least make it into November before this kind of thing starts happening. I just hope this doesn't mean we're going to get buried this year.

No comments: