Saturday, October 3, 2009

That's Just Odd

It was a weird weather day around here. While it was raining on and off with some major downpours, it was not particularly cold for October. It was almost like spending the day working on a shower, cause you would occasionally get sprayed with warm water, but not enough to need to go and change. (Trust me, that analogy makes sense in my head.) Anyway, the point is that while it was raining that was still not enough to deter most joggers, who it seems were out in force today.

I admire joggers, because they clearly have more willpower than me. Running was never my thing and something like rain would be a perfect excuse to blow the activity off and spend the day on the couch instead, watching College Game Day. But, not only did I see a bunch of runners while I was out doing errands, but they were suited up in all sorts of strange rain gear. The one that stuck in my head, though, one was the woman who was running along the side of Rt. 109 in Dover. She was wearing running clothes under a clear trashbag. I'm not sure what the point of this was. Did she want to keep her running clothes dry? Couldn't be that, because if you didn't want to sweat you shouldn't be running. Was she trying to keep her body temp up? It wasn't that cold, plus she could have run in pants, not shorts. I really wanted to pull the truck over and ask her, but it was getting close to kickoff. Instead, I'm left with more questions than I have answers.

-Do you think Bobby Bowden is actually listening to the plays his assistants are calling in to the guys on the field? The more I watch them "coach" the more convinced I am that I have more input on playcalling than college coaches like Bowden, who act like CEOs more than coaches. He just seems to watch the field, more than willing to let his assistants do the work while he gets the biggest paycheck and credit for the win. Now, sure, you can make the case that I'm not in every meeting and I don't know how much pre-Saturday game planning he does. But as an observer who doesn't care what happens to Florida State one way or the other, it just doesn't seem like he cares much anymore; just wants a good game and he'll be fine whether they win or lose. Personally, I think he's got Hank Williams Jr blaring in his ears.

-I've watched a lot of football in my life and I've never even heard of 'roughing the snapper'. How the hell do you rough a lineman?

No comments: