Wednesday, October 21, 2009

This Is Getting A Little Ridiculous

I'm not usually a fan of dark beer. With the notable exception of Guinness, I tend to stick with the lighter stuff. I get crap from people all the time for this, as if liking domestic beers make me unique. There is a reason that Bud Lite has all that money to spend on Super Bowl ads - because they make that and more on sales. And, despite being from Massachusetts, I've never been a big fan of Sam Adams. It just doesn't work for me. Part of it could be that it's a little too bitter for me, but a larger part could be the fact that to really get the full effect it needs its own glass. That seems to be excessive to me.

There has always been a vibe about Sam Adams that it thinks it's more high class than any other beer. Look, Jim, I get it - you like the beer you make and you want everyone to like it as much as you do. But, to think that you need to buy a special beer glass to enjoy it fully is going a little too far. We're not talking about wine. It comes across as a little snobby to insist that you need special glassware to get the full aroma and flavor. No one really cares about full aroma when they're in a bar. Honestly, when was the last time you were in a bar and wanted to take a full whiff of anything around you? Also, please stop talking about the 'craft' of beer-making. It's beer, not a quilt. Shut up and drink it.

-You can tell we're gearing up towards the holidays, because the commercials touting products as a great holiday gift are increasing. The one I see over and over again are for Snuggies. Personally, I would have thought that the buzz about these things would have been dying down by now, but I guess not. It appears all you need to do to keep the fad alive is to put the same product out in new colors every couple of years. However, there is one thing about these commercials I can not get over: even for a TV commercial family, damn are those Snuggie people dorks. Really, has anyone 'raised the roof' since 1998?

No comments: