Sunday, October 4, 2009

What Happened to Putting A Sock on the Door?

Earlier this week, Tufts University entered the news by unveiling a new policy for the on-campus dorms that basically states "no having sex in your dorm room if your roommate is also in the room." I'm dying to know what was going on on this campus that made it necessary for them to put a new policy in writing. How many people had to complain about this and, more importantly, how did it come up in the first place? Really, I didn't like any one of my teachers at any of the schools I attended enough to complain about something like this to a school administrator.

Now, they didn't announce any kind of punishment if you are found to be breaking this policy. I would guess that the embarassment of someone coming in to enforce it would be punishment enough. Also, since campus police are slightly below mall security in terms of the power structure in this country, I'm assuming the honor system will have to be in place for this to even take effect. Personally, I would think that in and of itself could make any dorm situation worse. If you didn't like your roommate enough to the point you would be willing to rat on them for having sex while you're in the room, I can only imagine that the rocky relationship would be more strained by turning them in to the RA or RD. They say you can't put a price on peace of mind, so how could you ever put your guard down if you turned you roommate in? You could never again go to class without worrying that they're messing with your stuff back in the room. Is that constant nagging in the back of your brain really worth not having to simply turn up your iPod and pulling the covers over your head?

Furthermore, I feel like this policy robs the Tufts students of a staple of college life: having to slink to the dorm common room or study areas because you came back from class to find the room 'occupied'. It's a rite of passage and part of the college experience. In my case, I didn't make it out of the first week before my roommate came in and asked me to vacate the premises for a couple hours. As an added bonus I got to deal with his one-night stand calling every night for a week while he avoided her until she finally just asked me if she was wasting her time and if my roommate was a good guy. I was then put in the awkward position of trying to be honest (no, he was a giant asshole) and ratting out my roommate who I had known a grand total of 10 days or defending him for the good of dorm room peace. Ah, college. It should come as no surprise that after that I always fought for a single-person room when I had on-campus housing.

No comments: